|This year, we’re bringing the Summit to you!
We know that not everyone is able to make it to Alexandria for SFS18, but that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on our incredible workshops. For the first time in Sexual Freedom Summit history we’re going to be live streaming selected Summit workshops on our Facebook page!
In our efforts to make the Summit more accessible and to reach a wider audience, we’ve chosen eight sessions that you can watch as they happen, even if you’re not at the Summit. You can find a complete schedule of our live streaming below, and follow along with the rest of the Summit on social media.
Please note that only presenters of each workshop will be shown on camera to respect the privacy of our Summit attendees.
Friday August 3rd, 2018
- 9:00-10:30 am EST: More Than Sexy: Conundrums Faced by Feminists in Porn
- How do you deal with sexism, when it’s your job to be sexy? How do feminists in porn deal with issues around propagating harmful stereotypes, unhealthy power dynamics, and body image? Hear personal narratives from different parts of the porn industry as they discuss their experiences of sexism and sexual liberation. WATCH HERE
- 1:10-2:30 pm EST: Caroline Bettinger-Lopez Friday Keynote
- Join us and be prepared to come away inspired by our 2018 Vicki Sexual Freedom Summit award recipient, Caroline Bettinger-Lopez. We’ll hear about violence against women, violence against sex workers, gender and race discrimination, and immigrants’ rights and how we can work for the implementation of human rights norms at the domestic level. WATCH HERE
- 4:30-6:00 pm EST: Criminalization of Sex Work is a Human Rights Violation and a Labor Rights Concern
- This session will discuss the various ways sex workers are criminalized under both prostitution and sex trafficking legislation and the outcomes it has for the everyday lives of those who engage in sex work. This presentation directly addresses the rights to housing, healthcare, safety, and dignity for sex workers regardless of race, class, substance use, and sexual or gender orientation. WATCH HERE
- 8:00-9:00 pm EST: 2018 Vicki Sexual Freedom Award Ceremony
- Join us as we celebrate the 2018 Vicki Sexual Freedom Award recipients, Mia Mingus and Caroline Bettinger-Lopez, two spectacular sexual freedom and human rights champions. WATCH HERE
Saturday August 4th, 2018
- 9:00-10:30 am EST: The Preacher & The Porn Star: Sex as Experience and Expression of the Sacred
- Religion in general and Christianity in particular are used to perpetuate a divide between “sacred” and “profane” parts of ourselves.This workshop is designed primarily to address the needs of ministers, social workers, sex workers, and others whose professional work directly engages clients with burdens rooted in sexual shame. WATCH HERE
- 1:10-2:30 pm EST: Mia Mingus SaturdayKeynote
- Join us for our Saturday luncheon where 2018 Vicki Sexual Freedom Award winner Mia Mingus will present an inspiring keynote that will reflect her lifetime of activism and her steadfast determination to elevate conversations about disability and insist that ableism be confronted where ever it occurs. WATCH HERE
- 4:30-6:00 pm EST: FOSTA! How Congress Broke the Internet
- FOSTA greatly expands the legal risks involved in hosting individuals’ speech online and creates a new federal crime prohibiting online promotion or facilitation of prostitution. It does little to reduce human trafficking and puts sex workers in danger. The law has resulted in broad-based censorship of internet speech which jeopardizes not only classified ads sites but also dating apps, discussion forums, social media sites, and any other service that hosts user-generated content. WATCH HERE
Sunday August 5th, 2018
- 11:30 am-3:00 pm EST: Sexual Freedom in the Age of Trump and Summit Closing
- Sexual rights are being rolled back on a regular basis and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the onslaught, but this roundtable will focus on a positive message: We can fight back and we can win. Join experienced and talented activists, policy gurus and movement leaders for a discussion about where we are, what’s still at risk, and how we can take back control. WATCH HERE